Profile Picture

Daily Trading NewBar() other than Midnight

Posted By invingator 7 Years Ago
Is there a way to have a daily trading strategy where RightEdge fires the NewBar() event/method at a time other than midnight? If your RE was not running at midnight you would lose the NewBar() event?...Is there a way to trigger it later?

We also investigated using say, 1-minute bars, and configured them to return the latest historical datapoint. The problem with that was that when we did .LookBack(x), it would think in terms of minutes rather than days...is there a way to link a "fake" minute bar frequency that would run after hours and return the prices as of 4:00 pm, but use lookbacks in terms of days?

Thank you!

Posted Friday March 05 2010
There is not a way to force a time on a daily bar. If you're using create ticks from bars, you'll get 4 ticks on a daily bar (open, high, low, close). You could theoretically produce your own event that occurs after the close bar hits.

Would that help?

invingator (3/4/2010)
Is there a way to have a daily trading strategy where RightEdge fires the NewBar() event/method at a time other than midnight? If your RE was not running at midnight you would lose the NewBar() event?...Is there a way to trigger it later?

We also investigated using say, 1-minute bars, and configured them to return the latest historical datapoint. The problem with that was that whenwe did.LookBack(x), it would think in terms of minutes rather than days...is there a way to link a "fake" minute bar frequency that would run after hours and return the prices as of 4:00 pm, but use lookbacks in terms of days?

Thank you!
Posted Friday March 05 2010
I think this should be added as a feature. For people that trade end of day it is going to be a reoccurring question/problem.

We have added timers and other code to get around this but a built in solution would be much better.

Posted Monday March 08 2010
Hi kaizen,

Could you please expound a bit / add some clarifying comments/code on how you got around this problem? My solution is EOD only, and, while I jumped over the other blocks, I kind of hit the wall with this one...

Thanks!
Posted Wednesday March 17 2010
Hi billb,

Could you please expound further on how you could see a solution to this problem using "create ticks from bars"?

Thanks!
Posted Thursday March 18 2010
Create ticks gives you 4 ticks per bar, since you're wanting to operate "inside" the bar, right? If you want to produce a tick after the close, as kaizen mentions, you'll have to generate your own event or use a timer or some other work around to make this happen since we don't have any mechanism that's automatic.

invingator (3/17/2010)
Hi billb,

Could you please expound further on how you could see a solution to this problem using "create ticks from bars"?

Thanks!