Profile Picture

New user programming advise

Posted By fperugini 5 Years Ago
Hi All,

I am new to RightEdge and trading system development, but experienced with .NET development. I am learning to develop trading systems and would like some advise. For example, I would like to learn by trying to detect a High and Tight Flag pattern. I can probably figure out how to do this in a brute force fashion with C# code using bar data, but would like to know how to take advantage of the RightEdge API to facilitate pattern detection. For example, how can I detect a sideways consolidation pattern or a rising price trend within a defined period of time?

Would I use some of the built-in indicators or write my own?

Thanks,
-Frank
Posted Friday February 24 2012
Can anyone help?
phg
Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)
On something like this it is hard to know where to start. The devil is in the details: there are many places to start, lots of possible parameters and how much effort needs to be put into efficiency? It is certainly quite possible to do what you outline. You might eventually want it in the form of an indicator plugin but I would suggest developing it in the form of strategy code first.

For the pattern you are interested in you have access to all of the information you need in the NewBar event; mostly you just need access to 'recent' bars so you can compute relationships between them. Your best bet is to try to do some coding yourself and post some of it on this forum when you get stuck.

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.

Pete,

Thanks for replying. I just picked a pattern to use for learning. Maybe it is a bit too challenging. I understand how to code crossover patterns and some other simple detection patterns, but I wanted to try something more challenging and before I tried a brute force approach, I wanted to ask some experienced trading system developers if there are API's or other tools in place to facilitate some common pattern detection.

I'll try to code it and would be glad to share code with others.

ps. Thanks to the lead to the Yahoo group.

-Frank

phg
Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)Supreme Being (48,659 reputation)
Posted Saturday February 25 2012
Hi Frank. I'm not aware of an API or library devoted to time series pattern recognition. Have you tried googling "C# time series analysis"? There has been a lot of ink written on patterns so I wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried to pull something together. It would be interesting to try to figure out how to fit an existing .NET library into RE's structure. On the other hand if you are interested in just a few specific instances I'm sure they can be coded within the RE ecosystem. ("Time Series" opens up a vast arena, not the least of which are packages in the "R" programming language that can be interfaced to .NET for example. One can get to overkill in a hurry...)

(Welcome too to the Yahoo group. It is an unofficial venue for topics that might be tangential or incidental to the specifics of RE technology. Anything to do with the technology of automatic trading, as it might relate to RE, is fair game on the group. Perhaps it helps keep clutter off this forum? [grin])

(A basic library is http://ta-lib.org/. There is a .NET version. It includes some candlestick pattern matching. I am not aware of its use within RE.)

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.