Profile Picture

Move Historical Data from SQL to DataStore

Posted By smersh 3 Years Ago
Is it possible to move the historical data from SQL to the RE DataStore?

I suspect a standalone app could be written to load the SQL data and save it to the data store but I don't know where to start.
Has anyone done this and be prepared to point me in the right direction or even better share their code?

Thanks.
Posted Sunday October 19 2014
You can write a program that directly accesses the data storage plugins to copy the data over.  See LinqToSQLStorage and BinaryDataStore in DataStorage.dll.

The data storage interfaces themselves don't have any APIs to enumerate what symbols and frequencies they have data for, so you may need to add code to them to do that.

Are you having any issues with the SQL data store which is making you want to move the data?

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Monday October 20 2014
I'm not having any issues with the SQL datastore.

I'm just consolidating my PCs. If I use binary data stores, I can de-commission two PCs that are running 24x7.

Would you advise against this?

thanks
Posted Monday October 20 2014
Hi,

If you are not after concurrent data access, transactions roll back and so on -> you can try Sqlite3.
If I would have to go just pure file system -> I would at least add git.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
TY

Posted Wednesday October 29 2014
smersh (10/19/2014)
Is it possible to move the historical data from SQL to the RE DataStore?

I suspect a standalone app could be written to load the SQL data and save it to the data store but I don't know where to start.
Has anyone done this and be prepared to point me in the right direction or even better share their code?

Thanks.

I may very well be missing something here, but it seems very easy to me. This is after all what a Data Retrieval plugin does.

First make a data retrieval plugin that reads from your current SQL database. Quite easy to make and good examples shipped with the default installation.

Set the RE Data Store to the format you want to use going forward, probably Local Data Store.

Now update all your data. Just select everything in your Watchlists and click update. 

Presto, your historical data now resides in your Local Data Store.

...or did I miss something here?