Profile Picture

Build 57 - System.NullReferenceException when right mouse button click Watchlist Folder

Posted By artonevala Last Year

Build 57 - System.NullReferenceException when right mouse button click...

Updated to Build 57.

Right mouse button click Watchlist Folder or Symbol Lists gives:

An exception of type System.NullReferenceException was thrown.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
 at RightEdge.WatchListPluginControl.symbolFolderContextMenuBar_BeforePopup(Object sender, MenuPopupEventArgs e)
 at TD.SandBar.MenuItemBase.OnBeforePopup(MenuPopupEventArgs e)
 at TD.SandBar.MenuBarItem.OnBeforePopup(MenuPopupEventArgs e)
 at TD.SandBar.
.(TopLevelMenuItemBase , Boolean , Boolean , Point )
 at TD.SandBar.
 at TD.SandBar.TopLevelMenuItemBase.(Control , Point , Boolean )
 at RightEdge.WatchListPluginControl.treeViewSymbolList_MouseUp(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
 at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
 at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
 at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
 at System.Windows.Forms.Nativewindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Posted Tuesday May 10 2016
Can you try closing RightEdge, renaming SymbolConfig.xml in the RightEdge AppData folder, and then starting RightEdge and trying again?

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Tuesday May 10 2016
I did as instructed and renamed SymbolConfig.xml and restarted. Now Symbol Lists contains only Dow30, Futures and Nasdaq -folders, but right mouse clicking any of those (including Symbol Lists) still gives:

An exception of type System.NullReferenceException was thrown.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
 at RightEdge.WatchListPluginControl.symbolFolderContextMenuBar_BeforePopup(Object sender, MenuPopupEventArgs e)
 at TD.SandBar.MenuItemBase.OnBeforePopup(MenuPopupEventArgs e)
 at TD.SandBar.MenuBarItem.OnBeforePopup(MenuPopupEventArgs e)
 at TD.SandBar.
 at TD.SandBar.
 at TD.SandBar.TopLevelMenuItemBase.(Control , Point , Boolean )
 at RightEdge.WatchListPluginControl.treeViewSymbolList_MouseUp(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
 at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
 at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
 at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
 at System.Windows.Forms.Nativewindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Posted Sunday May 22 2016
It only happens when right-click folder. Right-click symbol in folder works ok and opens menu.

So perhaps the problem is related to service associated to folders. I have tried cleaning plugincache etc..

Has there been any changes to IService interface in new Rightedge version? Is there something in old plugins that must be updated when updating new Rightedge version?

Edited: Sunday May 22 2016 by artonevala
Posted Monday May 23 2016
Thanks for the suggestion that it's related to the services.  After inspecting the code, it looks like what is happening is that there is a service plugin where the SymbolSourceAvailable property is true but it is returning null from the GetSymbolSource() method.  These APIs were added in build 54 to support symbol source plugins.  If you have your own service plugin, then you probably just need to change the SymbolSourceAvailable property to return false.

I've made a change for the next version that will stop you from getting an error when you right click a symbol folder when this happens.  Instead, there will be an item added to the "Add Symbols From" menu that will give you an error message explaining what is wrong when you click on it.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Tuesday May 24 2016
Thank you Daniel.

I updated all my own service plugins to
  public bool SymbolSourceAvailable
   {
    get { return false; }
   }
and confirm now that null exception does not occur anymore.
(I updated from build 50 to build 57 so that is the reason I didn't see this problem earlier with build 54)

Edited: Tuesday May 24 2016 by artonevala