Profile Picture

Options support

Posted By phg 10 Years Ago
Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)
Posted Friday August 10 2007

Bill, nice answer on the IB forum about handling options with RE. I have some follow-up questions. How do you specify an options contract in a watchlist? Is it "IBMIT" for the IBM Sep 100 Call? What if the underlying is a two-letter symbol like "IP"? I gather that RE buy and buy-limit processing would parse the symbol correctly into a proper IB order?

The other thing that becomes a question is, is there something in the works that lets one request a chain, possibly for display in a UI, coupled with the ability dynamically add a selected strike(s) to a watchlist?

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.

Posted Friday August 10 2007
Almost.  You don't have to specify anything beyond the root symbol.  Do it like this:

The reason why is that different brokers and data providers specify symbols in different ways.  We wanted to provide a layer of abstraction.

The only thing that could throw this off is the exchange.  This might be named differently from broker to broker.

phg (8/10/2007)

Bill, nice answer on the IB forum about handling options with RE. I have some follow-up questions. How do you specify an options contract in a watchlist? Is it "IBMIT" for the IBM Sep 100 Call? What if the underlying is a two-letter symbol like "IP"? I gather that RE buy and buy-limit processing would parse the symbol correctly into a proper IB order?

The other thing that becomes a question is, is there something in the works that lets one request a chain, possibly for display in a UI, coupled with the ability dynamically add a selected strike(s) to a watchlist?

Posted Monday January 11 2016
Hi folks, I am interested in programming a Trading System in RightEdge for trading Exchange Traded Options (Options).
Could you please provide the link to the IB forum  - you mentioned: "Bill, nice answer on the IB forum about handling options with RE."

Should it be out-of-date and not available, could you re-post the article here, or give me other pointers please?

Thanks Mark.