Profile Picture

Best way to add an indicator for stock performance vs market performance?

Posted By tbwerz 10 Years Ago

Best way to add an indicator for stock performance vs market...

I want to add some type of indicator to show how a stock is performing relative to the market.  Had anyone done this?  What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted Thursday August 16 2007
Are you talking about writing an actual indicator plugin or something that is like an indicator?  Can you give me an example?

tbwerz (8/16/2007)
I want to add some type of indicator to show how a stock is performing relative to the market.  Had anyone done this?  What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted Thursday August 16 2007
Either was I suppose...  a simple example would be a subtraction indicator that tells me:

The dow is down 2%, this stock is up 3%, the difference is 5%.

Posted Saturday August 18 2007
At this point there is really nothing built into the system that does exactly what you are asking for.  The main roadblock to doing it all through indicators is that they only operate on one symbol.

Of course, that does not mean that there is not a way to do it Smile  If you are looking to calculate your percentage for a certain number of bars you would want to link a few indicators together to get this.  You can use the shift series and divide indicators to compare a close with a series shifted back by the number of bars you are using as lookback to calculate your percentage (using the division indicator).  Once you had this defined in a system it would be a matter of running with the index in your symbol list and then doing a compare on that inside of NewSymbolBar.

This does give me an idea for a few new indicators that might be useful, though.  I'm going to put in a feature request for a batch that do the difference between the last close and a close of either x bars, days, weeks, months, years ago.

phg
Supreme Being (44,661 reputation)Supreme Being (44,661 reputation)Supreme Being (44,661 reputation)Supreme Being (44,661 reputation)Supreme Being (44,661 reputation)Supreme Being (44,661 reputation)Supreme Being (44,661 reputation)Supreme Being (44,661 reputation)Supreme Being (44,661 reputation)
Posted Sunday August 19 2007
tbwerz (8/16/2007)
Either was I suppose...  a simple example would be a subtraction indicator that tells me:

The dow is down 2%, this stock is up 3%, the difference is 5%.

You might take a look at the ROCadj-3.cs file on the rightedge-ats Yahoo group. (It borrows technique from Ratio.cs by Daniel, found on the RE site under downloadable strategies.) ROCadj currrently is configured to look at the difference (Rate-of-Change) between QQQQ and each of the other selected stocks. This may not be what you want, but it may give you some ideas.

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.