Profile Picture

MACD Histogram

Posted By RJ 10 Years Ago
Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)
Posted Thursday November 08 2007
I've used your MACD indicator on my charts (which displays a single line) , but I prefer the traditional view which displays the MACD Line, A MACD signal line and a MACD Histogram which shows above zero when MACD line crosses above the Signal line and vice versa.  Is there a way to display this or even just a way to calculate a MACD historgram value?

Thanks

Check out Band on Band in the Trading System section.  It shows how to accomplish this from a system using drag and drop.

RJ (11/8/2007)
I've used your MACD indicator on my charts (which displays a single line) , but I prefer the traditional view which displays the MACD Line, A MACD signal line and a MACD Histogram which shows above zero when MACD line crosses above the Signal line and vice versa.  Is there a way to display this or even just a way to calculate a MACD historgram value?

Thanks

What you want is the MACD, the EMA (probably) of the MACD, and then the MACD minus the EMA.  If you set this up in the Drag and Drop system designer it will look like this:

If you tweak the visual settings of each indicator, you can get a chart that looks like this:

You want to set the ChartPane for the MACD and Signal indicators to the same value, set the Subtract Series to another pane, set the LineType for the Subtract Series to Histogram, and increase the LineSize for the Subtract Series to something like 5.  If you want to show these indicators in a non-system chart, you can drag and drop the indicator node in the project tree to a chart.  You can then use the saved chart settings feature to save the settings and quickly apply them to any chart.  The Indicators Demo Video can show you how to do this.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Daniel

RJ
Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)Supreme Being (1,323 reputation)
Posted Saturday November 10 2007
Sweet... works great.  Thanks guys... I love this software.