Profile Picture

Market Scanning, Filtering, Alert

Posted By rgrg 9 Years Ago
Hi,

It is found that the current verion (ie Version 2008 Edition 1) DON'T have the facilities to do market scanning and filtering for Realtime streaming or Historical data.

For example, I would like to do :
1) Do a realtime Market scanning to see what stock right now fullfill certain criteria (e.g. RSI >70)
2) For those stocks fullfill step 1) --> put this listing to a market scanner screen
3) Do a filtering (e.g. Filter only the top 20 stocks with highest RSI)
4) For those stocks in listing 3) drop more then 5% --> trigger an alert

Such an alert would either 1) sent out an email 2) write the alert to file 3) trigger an action (e.g. start a sell strategy)

Marketing Scanning, Filtering, Alert are important components for automatic trading. It is strongly recommended that these facilities should be implemented.

Will it implemented in the coming Edition ?

phg
Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)
Posted Saturday May 03 2008
Rightedge is not the key bottleneck. The first consideration is deciding on a service to be the data feed. Perhaps Opentick? Rightedge certainly already has the capacity to do what you have in mind, but first it must be fed data. It is an inconvenience perhaps to set up a large watch list, but otherwise, if your machine is fast enough, there is no limit on what you can watch. What would you use as a data feed?

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.

Hi pete,

thx for your info.
Maybe I'm new to RightEdge, where can I find the market scanner,filtering and alert facilities in RightEdge ?
currently I'm using IB data feed.

Feel free to advice. thx !
You will need to write the code yourself to complete the functions you listed above.

None of it is hard if you know a bit of vb.net or C#

phg
Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)Supreme Being (44,909 reputation)
Posted Sunday May 04 2008
Hi rgrg,

First, we need an answer to kaizen's point. Do you have some .NET skills? VB or C#? If not, are you interested in putting some time into learning one of these languages? Are you already proficient in some language? Rightedge is a platform; while that makes it easier to do so, you still have to code the specifics of 'scanning', 'filtering' and 'alerting'.

As you know, IB limits you to just 100 concurrent market lines, so my guess is IB would serve well as the broker service but no so well as the source of quotes for a large number of stocks, say in the order of 1000 or so (though there are ways to do so with 'snapshot' loops). Opentick would do that (or perhaps Yahoo real time?). For scanning purposes it would probably suffice(?) to retrieve quotes less frequently than at the tick level? That would bring up the possibility of having a datafeed populated by looping over a list to retrieve free Yahoo data (not too frequently so as to not be abusive; perhaps alternate with MSN quotes?). --- There are two key questions here: a) how frequently is a fresh quote needed per stock for scanning purposes (versus trading puposes)? and b) from where can a large number of quotes be obtained?

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.

Posted Sunday May 04 2008
We are spec'ing out a "work flow" feature that would basically be everything you need here.

See this thread for more details:

http://www.rightedgesystems.com/forums/Topic5338-7-1.aspx

But as the other gentlemen have indicated, this can more or less be done today with a little elbow grease.  Obviously we want to remove as much of that as possible.

Posted Monday May 05 2008
Hi,

thx for all replies. I've experience with .NET language but not familiar with rightedge. So, I think I need to take some period of time to familar with RE and found out how to apply the API to implement the above mentioned.

I would be appreciated that if RE can enrich the document and show example (in scenario style like the above) so that user can know what RE can achieve and apply in real situation. thx !