Profile Picture

an idea for faster data access

Posted By hairy_mug 9 Years Ago
There are now high-capacity very fast USB "thumb" drives; the models with "speed-boost" compatible on their specs.

Maybe the next version can take advantage of this for database files or "swap" file space?

I have a 4 gig myself and I know they have 8 gig units, which should be more than enough space.

...and they are much faster than your typical hard drive and CHEAP; $49 for 4 gig @ staples and I'm sure much cheaper on the web.

Just make sure it is "speed-boost" rated and it needs a USB 2.0 port also... 

Posted Wednesday May 28 2008
I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done now with SQL Server?  You can specify a file where the database resides.  Admittedly, I've never tried this before.

hairy_mug (5/28/2008)
There are now high-capacity very fast USB "thumb" drives; the models with "speed-boost" compatible on their specs.

Maybe the next version can take advantage of this for database files or "swap" file space?

I have a 4 gig myself and I know they have 8 gig units, which should be more than enough space.

...and they are much faster than your typical hard drive and CHEAP; $49 for 4 gig @ staples and I'm sure much cheaper on the web.

Just make sure it is "speed-boost" rated and it needs a USB 2.0 port also... 

I don't think SQL server will let you spec a "removable" drive for data

>> I've sort of moved away from SQL Server to MY SQL and I think I may try it there...

BTW, When Optimizing, Does RE access the data once from the datastore and keep it in memory? Or does it hit the datastore multiple times?

Walt

In RE 2008 Edition 1, it accesses the data once and keeps it in memory.  This can be a problem if you have more data than can fit in memory, so in RE 2008 Edition 2, it will stream the data into the system as needed, and discard older data from memory when it is not needed anymore.  This would mean reading it from the data store for each run in an optimization.  We might offer the option to preload it into memory if reading it from the data store becomes a bottleneck.

Daniel

I'm looking forward to edition 2 as I have run out of memory a number of times...

>> Of course I do silly things like optimizing 900 symbols over the last 7 years; works for a while, then I have to re-start RE...

I actually tried running a simulation on 2300 symbols; got about 1/2 way through... then froze...

(This was on a system with two gigs of ram)