I'm working on a very active trading strategy off the 1min bars. I'm trying to work through the trades on the results chart and I have a few problems with some suggestions which could make things much clearer.
1. The annotations for entries & exits span 5 or 6 columns even with a 7pt font. It makes it really hard to see what's going on and during active sessions I just see an undifferentiated blob of annotations. I can't read many of the entry/exits and half of the candles are totally obscured. One way of solving this might be to draw small symbols or lines indicating purchases and then display the details with a mouseover tip (perhaps an optional setting, don't know what other traders like).
2. The "Position List" tab isn't linked to the chart so when I look for which end-to-end trades made or lost the money, I have to find the round-trip trade I'm interested in, remember the date/time, go to the trade list pane to find the trade, double-click the trade and then try to match that with the chart.
3. When I am taken to a trade on the chart, it isn't highlighted or singled out in any way so I'm left trying to go through dates and trade details to figure it out. It would be really nice if the trade were highlighted, the bar was in a different colour or the background for that bar were marked in some fashion. Something to let me zero-in on the right trade.
4. The chart just shows transactions without linking entries to exits. It would be nice if we could select a transaction and have it draw a line to the other transactions in the same trade (or "position"). Maybe nice if the net p&l could be shown at the same time.
5. One thing I do a lot is to walk through the trade list and check the trades on the chart. Can we have the list of trades or positions display below the chart so we aren't switching panes all the time and we can just arrow up or down to examine the next trade? (This would work really, really well if the entries & exits of the selected position would be highlighted, background changed, lines drawn or something to distinguish them!)
To illustrate some of these, I borrowed from a couple competitors.
eg.gif is from Right Edge. It shows the unreadable mess that happens when a system generates a lot of trades in close proximity. It's the first cluster on the first day of my backtesting and a good representation of what I'm seeing.
wl-eg.gif is a cap from Wealth-Lab which shows how hovering over a transaction brings up a tool-tip displaying the details and it draws a line connecting the entry with the exit.
oq-eg.gif is from OpenQuant which shows how they've linked the trades to the chart and how they've tried to simplify the labelling of entries & exits. There are a lot of trades in a short period of time and you may not be able to read the labels, but because of the use of small, simple coloured symbols, hover-help and a detail pane we're still able to see all of the trades and all of the candles. Note too how OQ highlights the bar where the trade occurred.