Profile Picture

Trading system that uses 2 timeframes

Posted By jeremytang 7 Years Ago
Hi, I just downloaded the trial to see if RightEdge will suit my needs... great platform! This is basically what I've been looking for and will save me a great deal of time!

I'm working on a system that uses two seperate time frames and makes buy/sell decisions based on both a 1 min ADX/DMI and 3 min ADX/DMI chart. Is it possible to do this easily in RE? I realize you can probably just go with the 1 min data, and then recreate the 3 min bars based off that data coming in... but is there an easier way? And more importantly is there a way to "visualize" this so I can see if my system code is working as intended?

** EDIT: looks like I've basically figured out how to do this going through the discussion forums and the SimpleSMA example.

Also, another question, unrelated - and forgive me if this answer is already out there, but can you buy and sell options based on the analysing the underlying? IE: the system analysis SPY, and instead of buying the stock, it buys the ATM put/call (or some custom strike/expiration). Can option chains be "loaded" manually into the system for analysis?

Jeremy

Edited: Thursday February 11 2010 by jeremytang
Posted Friday February 12 2010
I'm actually not sure what the SimpleSMA sample you're referring to is. In any case, the "What's New In This Edition?" help topic covers how to use multiple frequencies, and feel free to ask here if you have any issues.

You will need to set up each option you want to use as a separate symbol. You can certainly write your system logic to base it's calculations on one symbol (the underlying) and open positions in a different symbol. See the "Working With Multiple Symbols" section of the "Developing Trading Systems in RightEdge" help topic for details on how this works.

Thanks,
Daniel
Ah excellent! Thanks for the reply... is there a way to progamatically add symbols to the watchlist and symbols list? Or is that strictly a manual process?

Jeremy

Edited: Friday February 12 2010 by jeremytang
Manual at this time, but there are plans to change that.

jeremytang (2/12/2010)
Ah excellent! Thanks for the reply... is there a way to progamatically add symbols to the watchlist and symbols list? Or is that strictly a manual process?

Jeremy
Posted Friday August 20 2010
Take a look at the Watch List Updates sample:

http://www.rightedgesystems.com/TradingSystemsDetails.aspx?id=f591d6b3-35a9-47c7-a956-b00bbb4e4bb1

You have to edit the file names in the code.