Profile Picture

Supported Asset Currencies

Posted By ErkSubasi 7 Years Ago
Hi,

Working on global equities I am having trouble with the lack of support for some currencies. The list is below.

"MYR", "IDR", "ZAC", "PHP", "MAD", "THB", "COP", "CLP", "ILA", "EGP"

If I set the in the SymbolsConfig.xml to something besides predefined values (which unfortunately does not contain the above currencies) I am having an exception.

- Is there a rational behind throwing an exception when an undefined currency string observed?
- Do you plan to include the mentioned currencies some time soon to RE for the sake of completeness.

Thank you.

Erk

Posted Friday February 19 2010
And also,

the Common.CurrencyType enumeration does contain only 19 values which is not even the full set which you can reach through Asset Currency Info from watchlist gui (33 currencies) .

May I suggest also to fix this enumeration hopefully including the currencies that I've mentioned in the above post.

Cheers,
Erk
The currencies are an enumeration and it is so we can provide conversions. In other words, we need to have some knowledge of what currency to do the conversion. We use a conversion service provided by Oanda. If they support those currencies, we can add them. Or worst case, we can add them and perhaps not provide a conversion ... but that may be worse than just not supporting them.
Hi Bill,

could you please refer me to a source where you explain this oanda conversion mechanism.

So far, I assumed that RE was using the currency rates that I've provided in the watchlist for making all the conversions. Thus, I thought I can include arbitrary currencies and RE will take care of it (given that the proper FX series are available in the watchlist of course).

Erk
Posted Monday February 22 2010
It's a service, just like the other services. Click on Service Setup and you'll see it listed. The base URL we connect to is https://fx1.oanda.com/mod_perl/user/interestrates.pl. The arguments are a date range and a currency symbol.

ErkSubasi (2/19/2010)
Hi Bill,

could you please refer me to a source where you explain this oanda conversion mechanism.

So far, I assumed that RE was using the currency rates that I've provided in the watchlist for making all the conversions. Thus, I thought I can include arbitrary currencies and RE will take care of it (given that the proper FX series are available in the watchlist of course).

Erk
Posted Friday April 09 2010
Hi again,

Sorry, for the late reply but only now I can return back to this issue.

- In order to have the currency conversions one could also use other services, creating an FX watchlist and populating it with data obtained from other sources works as well. This is actually what I do. I am using RE Ed1 and I couldn't see the Oanda FX service in my available services list. Am I missing something?

- More importantly, I appreciate the motivation of providing an easy to use currency plugin but I don't think this really answers my question.
Essentially, I can not really see why would you would like to limit the available currencies for assetts, especially while not providing a full list. (the currencies that I've provided above are all from MSCI world contituents stocks' currencies, so they are not that exotic.)

Thank you.
Erk
Posted Monday April 12 2010
In order to have the currency conversions one could also use other services, creating an FX watchlist and populating it with data obtained from other sources works as well. This is actually what I do. I am using RE Ed1 and I couldn't see the Oanda FX service in my available services list. Am I missing something?

You are doing it correctly. The free Oanda service is actually only for interest rate data, so you can use it if you want to simulate interest applied to forex positions held "overnight."

More importantly, I appreciate the motivation of providing an easy to use currency plugin but I don't think this really answers my question.
Essentially, I can not really see why would you would like to limit the available currencies for assetts, especially while not providing a full list. (the currencies that I've provided above are all from MSCI world contituents stocks' currencies, so they are not that exotic.)

I think we originally went with an enum to help prevent people from entering an invalid currency, because we wanted to standardize the currency names (in case two different services used different abbreviations for the same currency), and because we thought we would be able to cover all the currencies in the enumeration. I think experience has shown us that it would be better just to use a string. I've added this to the todo list.

Daniel
Posted Wednesday April 14 2010
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for taking this into consideration.

As a last suggestion, I think it is also a good idea to keep in mind the case for currency minors. ie. making the distinction for the stocks which are quoted in GBp vs the ones quoted in GBP.
I spent quite some time just to deal with this today.

Cheers,
Erk