Profile Picture

Documentation for 2010

Posted By Zora 7 Years Ago
Are your planning to update the documentation for 2010 version? For example, the API Reference does not have a description of the IBarDataStorage interface. I can get to it indirectly through the User Manual, but the definition of the IBarDataStorage.LoadBars method there has 3 parameters and is still different from what is actually required by the interface itself, which has 5 parameters.
Thank you in advance.
Posted Monday April 26 2010
I'm not seeing any reference to IBarDataStorage. IBarDataStorage has been deprecated though. You should be using IDataStore.

Zora (4/23/2010)
Are your planning to update the documentation for 2010 version? For example, the API Reference does not have a description of the IBarDataStorage interface. I can get to it indirectly through the User Manual, but the definition of the IBarDataStorage.LoadBars method there has 3 parameters and is still different from what is actually required by the interface itself, which has 5 parameters.
Thank you in advance.
Thank you for your comments, billb, but I am a little bit confused. Here is why.

If I go to online version of User Manual for 2010 (http://www.rightedgesystems.com/Documentation/RightEdge-User-Manual.pdf) to "Plugins & Services. Service & Plugin Overview", the first line in the list of suggested interfaces on page 264 says this:

Data Storage Plugin - IBarDataStorage

I could not find any statement that would suggest anything different. Besides, the RightEdge source code that has been made available, has these classes:

public class JetDataStorage : IBarDataStorage, IDisposable
public class SQLServerStorage : IBarDataStorage

Some other classes in that project do implement IDataStore, though. Don't you agree that it is pretty confusing? This is why I asked about the plans to update the documentation.

Thank you again.
Assuming that now for data storage plugins we should implement IDataStore interface, is there still a way to configure our custom data storage? "Old" IBarDataStorage defined RequiresSetup() and DoSettings() methods, which supposedly could be used for that purpose. IDataStore doesn't have anything like that. Does it mean that we have lost this abiltiy? Version 2010 of RightEdge still suggests this option in its interface. How it is supposed to be used?
Thank you.
Posted Tuesday April 27 2010
I've added a work item to update the plugin documentation.

For frequency and data store plugins which have user settings, the plugin class should have public properties for user settings, and should be XML serializable so the settings can be stored. A PropertyGrid will be used to display the settings. A plugin can supply its own UI by putting a PluginEditorAttribute on the plugin pointing to a type which inherits from System.Windows.Forms.Control and implements the IPluginEditor interface. The SQL data storage plugin is a good example of this, and the source code is available so you can see how it's done.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Tuesday April 27 2010
Daniel, thank you for your comments.
I downloaded the project with the source code for your data storage plugins and after certain manipulations could even open it (it wouldn't open by simply double-clicking on SLN file), so at least I can read the code. SQL data storage plugin in that project still implements the IBarDataStorage interface, so you probably meant the LinqToSqlSettingsEditor class, the only class that implements IPluginEditor and mentions PropertyGrid (just a clarification in case somebody else decides to use this information).
All right, I hope that after some head scratching and guessing I'll be able to figure out how this whole thing works.