Profile Picture

Order execution after IB close/PC shut down

Posted By rigi583 7 Years Ago
Hi

I am running a live system which has two exit scenarios:

1) 5% profit taking

2) two day time based exit

I am wondering now what happens if IB connection is broken (@ night) or if I shut down the computer after the trading session? If I start RE and IB again the other day, does RE recognize that there is a long position in the portfolio and that it needs to transmit a sell order? Does it recognize when timebased exit date is reached? Basically does the system pick up what happened in the previous day by an interruption of RE and IB? To have it fully automated is it necessary to have it run 24hrs/5ds?

Thks for your help

Posted Thursday May 06 2010
RightEdge records the outstanding orders and positions when you shut down a live system, and when you start it up again it prompts you to confirm whether they are still active. If you are using the built-in profit target functionality, the profit target is sent as a limit order to the broker when the position open order is filled. It should still be active on subsequent days.

The built in bar count exit functionality only works if your system is running live when the new bar completes. So if you are using daily bars, you would have to be running live at midnight for it to work. You could write your own logic that handled the exit logic based on the difference between the current date and the positions entry date.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Friday June 04 2010
Hi

After having bought a much faster machine - I am back on track. I let the machine run over night (trading Nasdaq out of Europe). Nevertheless, this morning I see the new orders entered in IB but there are no pending orders in RE to see. Also the system bought yesterday a stock which hasn't been sold during yesterday's trading hours. This position is not mentioned in the "open position" tab either.

What is going wrong? How to solve?

Thks a lot

Posted Monday June 07 2010
I've seen this when the order is placed outside of exchange hours. Is this the case?

rigi583 (6/4/2010)
Hi

After having bought a much faster machine - I am back on track. I let the machine run over night (trading Nasdaq out of Europe). Nevertheless, this morning I see the new orders entered in IB but there are no pending orders in RE to see. Also the system bought yesterday a stock which hasn't been sold during yesterday's trading hours. This position is not mentioned in the "open position" tab either.

What is going wrong? How to solve?

Thks a lot
Posted Tuesday June 08 2010
Hi Bill

This seems to be the case. When I go to work I start IB, since I leave RE running through the whole night. IB loggs off automatically.

This morning I can still see the 3 position in RE but the pending sales order for the bought positions (time based exit/profit target) are gone. Sell orders are created via the Position Management.

When I started IB again, I quickly stoped "live data feed" and started it again - I didn't stop the trading system. Nevertheless, the sell orders are gone. But I got the new buy orders.

How to do that those pending sell orders are not lost?

Thks a lot for your help

Posted Wednesday June 09 2010
There really isn't a way to tell RE to resubmit the orders to IB. However, if IB is shutdown, it seems like you'd get an exception of some sort.

rigi583 (6/8/2010)
Hi Bill

This seems to be the case. When I go to work I start IB, since I leave RE running through the whole night. IB loggs off automatically.

This morning I can still see the 3 position in RE but the pending sales order for the bought positions (time based exit/profit target) are gone. Sell orders are created via the Position Management.

When I started IB again, I quickly stoped "live data feed" and started it again - I didn't stop the trading system. Nevertheless, the sell orders are gone. But I got the new buy orders.

How to do that those pending sell orders are not lost?

Thks a lot for your help
Posted Wednesday June 09 2010
Oh and by the way, being able to manually reconcile between RE and the broker is something we're working on now. We understand the need.
Posted Thursday June 17 2010
Cool, thks Bill. I'm sure this will be very helpful.