Profile Picture

results don't show on chart

Posted By DTrader 7 Years Ago
I must be doing something wrong.

I opened the sample system MACDSignal, then ran it with a symbol (daily, 6 mos data) checked in the watchlist. When I run a simulation the price bars display, but the MACD doesn't display in the chart window.

Posted Friday July 09 2010
I get the feeling the something I might be missing is documentation. In addition to the API and help files is there a "developer's guide" ?? (I do not count the cursory "Developing Trading Systems in RightEdge" topic in the help file)

In digging through the class library I've discovered the Register method; it says if the series is declared as a member of the MySymbolScript class it doesn't need to be registered. And also if it is re-registered it will have no ill effect. I've gone through all the documentation and have found no other reference to the Register method, which leads me to believe I might be missing some documentation. Which would be great because I hate asking stupid questions.

Anyway, the MACD sample .rep file does not display any results on the chart either when I run it before opening a chart, or run it after I have doubleclicked on the watchlist symbol and displayed a chart.

I tried manually registering the MACD and/or MACDSignal line as follows:

SystemData.IndicatorManager.Register(MACD,Symbol,"test");

which as I understand it will register the MACD indicator series with every symbol upon which the simulation is run.

Something is definitely wrong. I ran the sample MACDSignal and I do get it on the chart. Both the signal and MACD itself are plotted. Is is possible that somewhere there is a pane that's too small to be visible?

DTrader (7/9/2010)
I get the feeling the something I might be missing is documentation. In addition to the API and help files is there a "developer's guide" ?? (I do not count the cursory "Developing Trading Systems in RightEdge" topic in the help file)

In digging through the class library I've discovered the Register method; it says if the series is declared as a member of the MySymbolScript class it doesn't need to be registered. And also if it is re-registered it will have no ill effect. I've gone through all the documentation and have found no other reference to the Register method, which leads me to believe I might be missing some documentation. Which would be great because I hate asking stupid questions.

Anyway, the MACD sample .rep file does not display any results on the chart either when I run it before opening a chart, or run it after I have doubleclicked on the watchlist symbol and displayed a chart.

I tried manually registering the MACD and/or MACDSignal line as follows:

SystemData.IndicatorManager.Register(MACD,Symbol,"test");

which as I understand it will register the MACD indicator series with every symbol upon which the simulation is run.

nope. No small pane. I have no saved chart settings, volume is turned off. I've shut down everything else and restarted, no dice.

I've tweaked very little in the platform, but just for grins I may uninstall and re-install RE and see if it makes a difference. Unless you have another suggestion.

FYI
Dell Precision m6400
Core2 Extreme 2.53gHz
4gb RAM
Windows7 64-bit
.Net Framework 3.5.1
RightEdge Build 21
Just for grins, let me see if I understand what Should happen.

a) I download data for a watchlist symbol (eg. 12 mos)
b) I run a simulation on the MACD system
c) the MACD shows on the chart I have opened

...is this true?
d) if I have another symbol checked to run the simulation against but have not yet loaded the chart; when I do load the chart it will display the simulation results (including the MACD)?

Edited: Friday July 09 2010 by DTrader
still no dice. I uninstalled and re-installed RE, making sure Windows was up to date before I did. When I re-installed the new installation picked up the settings, I presume from the registry.

Anyway, I get the same behavior. Odd. Can you build me a version that outputs a debug logfile for you? It is in your .dll so I of course cannot step into it. It sounds like you wire the chart to listen to a delegate when you register the series. Seems like the first guess would be listener is not listening, or the delegate is not firing the events.

Let me know what I can do to help you run this to ground.
fyi. there is no pane at the bottom of the chart. I do however get a horizontal grab icon when I position the mouse at the bottom of the chart (above the axis area). Clicking and dragging has no effect. I imagine this is just inheritance for all windows and will appear whether there is a pane below or not.
Posted Saturday July 10 2010
Okay, well I installed RE on a different machine, another 64Bit Windows7 machine; same behavior. I downloaded the MACD strategy ran a simulation and the results did not display on the chart.

Intel I7 3.6gHz
24gb RAM
Windows7
.NET 3.5.1
AVG 9.0
RE build 21
You are clicking on the symbol in the simulation results tab?

If you click the symbol in the watch list it will just show the chart with no indicators.

Excellent!

...muttering something inaudible about forest and trees he humbly finds the very documentation page he was looking for...

Thanks for the help!

Viewing System Charts

This help topic provides guidance on opening charts containing indicators and chart objects that were generated during a simulation.

To see charts with indicators and chart objects that were created by a system you should not open them from the watchlist. Opening a chart by double clicking on the symbol from the watchlist will always open a raw chart, showing only bar data. We do this for a few reasons.

· It is good to have a place where you can always get a clear, uncluttered, view of the bar data for a symbol.

· Since RightEdge allows multiple sets of symbol results to be open at one time we’d have no easy way to know which set of system results to use to plot indicators and chart object.

After you create a system and run it against a group of symbols a “System Results” tab will be created in your workspace.

On the Trade List tab, double clicking any of the trades will open a system chart and bring you to the position of that trade.