Profile Picture

result plugin - some trouble

Posted By Andrew_en 6 Years Ago
Hi,

I try to create my own systemresults plugin. I use example from Samples/C#/Systemresults .
I make some minor changes, build it and copy to plugins directory. Unfortunately in RE I don't see it in Tools/Options/SystemResulsts tab.
What I did wrong ?

Andrzej
Posted Tuesday January 11 2011
The plugin may be throwing an exception on load. This can happen if you're referencing mismatched assemblies or referencing a dependent assembly that wasn't copied to the RightEdge plugins folder.

Andrew_en (1/10/2011)
Hi,

I try to create my own systemresults plugin. I use example from Samples/C#/Systemresults .
I make some minor changes, build it and copy to plugins directory. Unfortunately in RE I don't see it in Tools/Options/SystemResulsts tab.
What I did wrong ?

Andrzej
Posted Sunday January 30 2011
Make sure that you are compiling the DLL for .NET 3.5 instead of .NET 4.0. This is a common cause of the plugins not showing up.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Monday March 21 2011
Can .Net 4 plugins be used in RE? I need features from this framework that are not available in 3.5. If yes, how do I get them to show under services?

Thanks, Duane
Posted Saturday March 26 2011
Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks, Duane
Posted Tuesday March 29 2011
I believe you can force RightEdge to run under .NET 4.0 by editing the RightEdge.exe.config file in your installation folder.  Add the supportedRuntime tag to the startup section (which you'll probably also have to add):

<configuration>

<startup>

<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" />

</startup>
</configuration>

Thanks,
Daniel

Posted Wednesday March 30 2011
Daniel,

Appears to work like a charm. Just as a note, the section should be at the end of the section. Otherwise, RE crashes on startup.

The continued flexibility of RE is one of the many reasons that I really enjoy coding (C#/.Net) on your platform. The integration with VS makes debugging/coding easy compared to other alternatives.

Thanks for your help.

Duane

Edited: Wednesday March 30 2011 by alpha23
Posted Wednesday May 11 2011
The plugin architecture is great – one of the primary reasons that I migrated to RightEdge – however, can an exception be thrown, with details given to the user, when a plugin does not load? Maybe allow the user to manually load the plugin to be able to view the exception.

Referencing issues can be painful especially when the project itself compiles correctly in VS but does not compile when running RightEdge because RightEdge is looking in different locations for dlls. Without further information it can be time consuming to track down the issue.

Thanks, Duane
Posted Friday May 13 2011
We don't throw an exception when we get an error scanning for plugins, because there may be native DLLs which are needed in the plugins folder, but they will give an error when we try to load them as managed DLLs. So we can't tell the difference between those and plugins which are supposed to be loaded but have a problem.

We do send the exception messages to the Trace output, so you can see them if you have a debugger attached. First you should delete the PluginCache.xml file in your RightEdge AppData folder. Then, in Visual Studio, select File\Open Project/Solution, navigate to the RightEdge installation folder, and select RightEdge.exe. Select Debug\Start and RightEdge will start up and you can see the Trace output in the VS Output window. Once RightEdge finishes loading, look for your assembly's name in the output for details on why it couldn't load.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Monday June 20 2011
I ran into the same problem with a plugin that worked on build 34 but no longer works on 36.

Exception message: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
Exception InnerException:
Stack Trace follows:
at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
at RightEdge.ServiceLoader.RefreshServices()

How do you obtain the LoaderExceptions?

Thanks, Duane