Profile Picture

Chaining indicators

Posted By dssdish 6 Years Ago
Hi,

I'm trying to create an indicator that derives from SeriesCalculatorBaseWithValues. I'd like to use an IndicatorBase based class as my indicators input, for example MedianPrice.

I found examples chaining two SeriesCalculatorBaseWithValues indicators, but nothing for chaining IndicatorBase.

Could someone shed some light please?

Thanks.

Posted Tuesday January 11 2011
There is no way to chain IndicatorBase. This was a major reason/feature for the SeriesCalculator classes. Check out this help topic on the three indicator types which gives an overview of when to use what.

dssdish (1/11/2011)
Hi,

I'm trying to create an indicator that derives from SeriesCalculatorBaseWithValues. I'd like to use an IndicatorBase based class as my indicators input, for example MedianPrice.

I found examples chaining two SeriesCalculatorBaseWithValues indicators, but nothing for chaining IndicatorBase.

Could someone shed some light please?

Thanks.
Posted Tuesday January 11 2011
I know I need to derive my indicator from SeriesCalculatorBaseWithValues. My question is if it's possible to take advantage of existing indicators derived from IndicatorBase.

There are almost 100 indicators derived from IndicatorBase. Here is a few,      

RightEdge.Indicators..::.VolumeOscillator
      RightEdge.Indicators..::.VolumeRateOfChange
      RightEdge.Indicators..::.WeightedClose
      RightEdge.Indicators..::.WidnerLowerBand
      RightEdge.Indicators..::.WidnerOscillator
      RightEdge.Indicators..::.WidnerUpperBand
      RightEdge.Indicators..::.WilliamsAccDist
      RightEdge.Indicators..::.WilliamsPctR

It would be great if I can use them in my indicator. I would consider this is a major missing feature if this can not be done. That means indicator writer has to implement existing indicator's logic whenever they want to use it in their new indicator.

Posted Friday January 14 2011
Yes, you can use indicators within your indicator. Simply reference Indicators.dll in your indicator and create an instance inside. You'll need to force feed new bars and manage that aspect. I've attached a sample where an indicator contains other indicators. This is the Bollinger Band Width, which is simply the difference between the BBL and BBU.

dssdish (1/11/2011)
I know I need to derive my indicator from SeriesCalculatorBaseWithValues. My question is if it's possible to take advantage of existing indicators derived from IndicatorBase.

There are almost 100 indicators derived from IndicatorBase. Here is a few,

RightEdge.Indicators..::.VolumeOscillator
RightEdge.Indicators..::.VolumeRateOfChange
RightEdge.Indicators..::.WeightedClose
RightEdge.Indicators..::.WidnerLowerBand
RightEdge.Indicators..::.WidnerOscillator
RightEdge.Indicators..::.WidnerUpperBand
RightEdge.Indicators..::.WilliamsAccDist
RightEdge.Indicators..::.WilliamsPctR

It would be great if I can use them in my indicator. I would consider this is a major missing feature if this can not be done. That means indicator writer has to implement existing indicator's logic whenever they want to use it in their new indicator.

Attachments
BollingerBandWidth.cs (460 views, 8.00 KB)