Profile Picture

Trouble with tutorial

Posted By krschacht 6 Years Ago
I'm trying to follow the Drag and Drop Tutorial (http://www.rightedgesystems.com/Demo.aspx?video=DnD) and I cannot get the Trading System Properties dialog to appear in the same way the tutorial shows.

I configured my interface just like the video shows with Trading System, Properties, and Watchlist down the right side. However, when I click Properties the window that slides out is empty except for 3 icons at the top: Categorized, Alphabetical, and Property Pages (this last is greyed out). Whereas the video shows the ability to configure options for Backtesting, Parameters, and Position Management.

How do I get to these Trading System properties so I can run backtesting?

Thanks,
Keith
Posted Friday November 18 2011
An update on this problem: I tried clicking all the objects and none of them work, but finally I closed the trading system and re-opened it and then the Properties window was populated, so I figured out that issue.

However, now I have a new issue. I filled out the properties window and ran the backtesting on a couple stocks from the "NASDAQ 100" list but the resulting P&L shows that no trades were executed. The starting capital and ending capital is the same with zeros everywhere else.

The one thing that's different from my setup vs the video is that the video selected three stocks from the "Daily" symbol list folder but I don't have that in my setup.

Any ideas why it's not working?
It sounds like no trades were taken. This can be one of two things, the trading system or the data. Typically if there is no data, you'll be notified and the system will not execute. You didn't get a message like that by chance? Second, can you post a snapshot of your drag and drop system?

krschacht (11/18/2011)
An update on this problem: I tried clicking all the objects and none of them work, but finally I closed the trading system and re-opened it and then the Properties window was populated, so I figured out that issue.

However, now I have a new issue. I filled out the properties window and ran the backtesting on a couple stocks from the "NASDAQ 100" list but the resulting P&L shows that no trades were executed. The starting capital and ending capital is the same with zeros everywhere else.

The one thing that's different from my setup vs the video is that the video selected three stocks from the "Daily" symbol list folder but I don't have that in my setup.

Any ideas why it's not working?
Nope, I didn't get any error message about data. I've attached a screenshot of my trading system and properties panel, and a second screenshot of the results after running the simulation.

See anything off in there?

-Keith

Attachments
Ah, I figured it out! Your clue about data helped. I had to check my symbols in the watch list and click to refresh the data for them. After that when I run the simulation I get a proper looking P&L with executed trades.

Thanks for your help! Time to start dissecting the example systems to understand how these are working.

Keith