Profile Picture

Possibility for RunOptimization to run outside RE process

Posted By neo 4 Years Ago

Possibility for RunOptimization to run outside RE process

Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)
Posted Saturday June 01 2013
For example, refer the Common lib in a separate project to execute Optimization plugin there. I figured it might be hard at the moment, as there may be other variables in the context involved other than SystemRunSetting. But if it's possible, then it could be a performance boost for optimization. Current optimization left more for desire. Multicore is one step forward, but even with multicore, it's still one machine. So it will still be nice to be able to run optimization outside of RE process where eventually multiple machines may be coordinated to run together. Thanks.

PS:
By RunOptimization, i mean RunSystem. Sorry about the confusion.

Edited: Saturday June 01 2013 by neoaries
Posted Sunday June 02 2013
It sounds like you want to be able to run an optimization on multiple machines. There are a few ways to do this. First of all, you can use the command line options to start RightEdge and automatically start a simulation run or an optimization. So you could have automation that would launch RightEdge on each machine with the command line parameters to run its piece of the optimization.

Second of all, you could write an optimization plugin that contacts a central server to get the parameter set to use for optimization. Each time an optimization finished it would report the results back to the central server and then get the next set of parameters to run. The samples installed with RightEdge include the source code for the default optimization plugin that RightEdge uses as well as a hill climbing optimization, so they can give you a reference for how to write an optimization plugin. They are under Samples\RightEdgePlugins\Optimization.

Thanks,
Daniel
neo
Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)Supreme Being (3,749 reputation)
Posted Sunday July 07 2013
Yes, I was thinking of how to run RightEdge optimization/simulation on multiple machines automatically. After some consideration of the above two ways, I might prefer the first way in general, because it allows optimization tasks to be pushed to (first way) rather than requested by workers (second way). The former sounds less complex and more extensible.

But I have some doubts with command line in the first approach, because it doesn't seem like the command line can do all that the UI can do. For example, the command line can perform historical data update, but it can't do auto fix according to the command line documentation in case the data updated have errors. Another is how to sync folder definitions across machines.

I don't know if extending command line functions would be a massive change to RightEdge, but another way seems to be able to run RightEdge as libraries in a custom process, so that the sort of client server communication things may be handled by the custom process rather than bundled in the plugins, which may be better to focus on its own tasks solely, for example, optimization plugin, while still maintaining RightEdge's flexibility.

Could you please have some comments on this?

Thanks,

Edited: Sunday July 07 2013 by neoaries