Profile Picture

Import Functionality Not Working

Posted By alpha23 3 Years Ago
When the hour format is 'H' and Time Separator in blank, the import fails on '1000' with the following error, for example: 'Bars out of order at date: 1/2/1998 01:00:00'.

That is, the import is misinterpreting the hour at 10:00 to be 1:00.

I've attached the settings file for reference.

Please advise.

Thanks, Duane

Attachments
Posted Tuesday January 28 2014
Please advise.
Posted Thursday January 30 2014
The data importer doesn't handle times with no time separator using H for the hour format. It parses one element at a time, and to correctly handle this it would need to look ahead to tell the difference between 1000 and 100.

If you can export the data so that 1:00 is represented as 0100, then you can use HH for the hour format and it should work. Otherwise, if you can provide some sample data (for bars with both 1 digit and 2 digit hours), I may be able to update the data importer so it can handle this.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Thursday January 30 2014
Daniel,

Unfortunately, I can't change the format. There are approx. 1,000 csv files that are formatted from the vendor.

The times are use 1 or 2 digits for the times, e.g. 958, 959, 1000, 1001, 1002 (for 9:58 to 10:02 AM)

Note, when selecting the H data format, the example at the bottom of the dialog box correctly interprets the file and shows the example '14:01' (or so time in the 2 PM hour). The first 30 minutes/rows are imported (930 to 959) and then the exception is thrown.

If you can fix the importer as soon as possible, that would be perfect.

Thanks, Duane
Posted Saturday February 08 2014
When will the fix be available? I've been looking to test against the data that requires importing for over 2 weeks.

Thanks, Duane

Edited: Saturday February 08 2014 by alpha23
Posted Monday February 10 2014
Hi Duane,

I'd recommend writing a script to transform the data into a format that RightEdge can import as-is. I can't promise when or if I will fix this in RightEdge. The RightEdge importer has to be flexible to handle a variety of data formats, so fixing it is a lot more complicated than just writing a parser specifically for the format your data is in. For example, your data is in the format HMM, but HM wouldn't be valid because there would be no way to tell whether 123 represented 1:23 or 12:03.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Monday February 10 2014
Daniel,

This is a defect within RightEdge and not a matter of writing a new parser but fixing what is already there. The format is correct per the example shown in the ‘Format Sample’ of the ‘Date and Time Format’ dialog box. For your example, the H format would always interpret 123 as 1:23 when the minute format specifies 2 digits as it does in my the import settings file I uploaded 2 and a half weeks ago. I see no other interpretation for ‘Hmm’ in your example other than 1:23.

I do hope the answer to defects is not to have the user write and debug a new program to workaround what should already work. That solution is time consuming and frustrating. Since I’ve already purchased the product, I do expect that there are no defects or if there are, they will be fixed as soon as possible.

Please advise on when this issue will be supported.

Thanks, Duane
Posted Thursday February 13 2014
Hi Duane,

I am planning to fix this but I can't commit to when it will be ready. So if you need to use this data now, I'd recommend writing a script to transform the data like I mentioned. I can probably help you with that if you need. If so, can you post a sample of the data (ie full rows of the data, ideally with both single and double digit hours in the timestamps).

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Wednesday February 19 2014
I've fixed this for the next build.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Wednesday February 19 2014
Daniel,

Thank you for fixing.

I just purchased CSI Data subscription last Friday and found the following adapter for it over the weekend: http://tradersplace.net/store/csi-to-rightedge-adapter-working-example/

Credit goes to Andreas Clenow (author of Following the Trend: Diversified Managed Futures Trading) for creating. For anyone interested, it can be modified to import csv files, text files, etc.

Regardless, the import functionality you fixed is important because formats do not have to be hard coded. The advantage of the plugin is that for a fixed format file, such as CSI data, where the data is updated regularly to the csv files, imports can be done via the normal data retrieval process.

I appreciate you fixing.

Duane