Profile Picture

Executing 3rd party signals

Posted By arcturius 2 Years Ago
QuestionMark Posted Monday January 19 2015
Hello,

I am using RightEdge software for 4 years now. I have a new problem which I am not able to solve without developers' help.

I am planning to trade 3rd party signals using my RightEdge platform. I receive signals into my newly created plugin. I then want to do a proprietary calculations and send corresponding order to the market using RE, and track it as if it was the order generated by my plugin. The problem is that I dont know upfront what signals for what symbols I will receive from 3rd party software and, hence, my plugin is going to trade. it could be equity or equity options. From this forum I understood that it is not possible to add/remove symbols to the live system on the fly. This could be a good solution. On the other hand, tracking all equity symbols and all equity options is a crazy idea. There will be a couple of signals traded, and adding thousands stocks and stock options for this is not worth it.

So I would like to ask developers what alternative solutions do I have here. My plugin should receive a signal, make calculations and trade the signal. While position is open, Re needs to keep track of the symbol quote to calculate portfolio PnL. Once the position is closed, there is no need for the plugin to keep track of the symbol quote anymore.

Thank you,
Pavel.
Posted Wednesday January 21 2015
There's a couple of things that might work.  You could set up all the possible symbols in the watch list and select them when you run the system, but write a data plugin that doesn't actually subscribe to symbol data and send it to your system unless there is an active position for that symbol.  The data plugin would need to have some communication with your system and/or the broker for this to work.

If trading quickly when a symbol comes in isn't important, you could stop the live system, add the required symbol, and then start it again before your system trades it.  You could probably set up a way to do this automatically.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Saturday January 24 2015
Hello Daniel, 

I think setting up all possible symbols is not an option, because as far as I understand I will have to add all strikes, all exp. dates of all options for all symbols. it is too much for such a simple software I am developing. 

Starting/stopping the RE: can you please clarify how exactly I could do this programmatically? e.g. I receive a signal to buy some stock option to my strategy. Then strategy should stop live mode in RE and start it again. the state of the strategy will be lost by that moment. am I correct?

Thank you,
Pavel.
Posted Monday January 26 2015
You would have to have a process running outside of RightEdge that would control shutting it down and restarting it.  It could use command-line options when starting RightEdge to select a watchlist folder and a system, and to start live trading.

To shut down RightEdge I think you would have to use Windows APIs to find the RightEdge process and send a close message.  RightEdge will pop up a confirmation that you want to exit while you're running a live system, so you would have to find that dialog and send a click to the OK button.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Sunday February 08 2015
Oh... that really eliminates the value of using RE in my case...

Edited: Sunday February 08 2015 by arcturius
Posted Sunday February 08 2015
How about the following line of thought?
Your plug-in translates/routes the incomming signal X to an existing 'dummy' equity , option,...in RE. It records the mapping  X -> dummy.
Your RE Logic trades this dummy equity, option,...
Your plug-in translates/routes the outgoing trade of this 'dummy' equity , option from RE into a real outgoing trade using mapping  X -> dummy.

reg rudy
Posted Monday February 09 2015
This workaround brings more work and no value as I will have a portfolio of dummy symbols in RE. 
Posted Tuesday February 10 2015
Guys, any plans for redesign of the RE software architecture? seems like it is a RE design issue.
Posted Tuesday February 10 2015
Pavel,

Yes, unfortunately it looks like RightEdge might not be the best solution for this problem right now.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Monday April 27 2015
Hello Daniel, 

I have this question: are these new features of build 54 (http://www.rightedgesystems.com/forums/16040/RightEdge-2010-Build-54-Now-Available) allow us to fix the problem discussed in this thread? 

Thank you,
Pavel.