Profile Picture

Bars list should not start with empty bar

Posted By alpha23 2 Years Ago
Why am I getting this error when trying to display a graph with minute bars?  The data editor shows data.

Bars list should not start with empty bar. at RightEdge.x12ca728e0d6c36e0.x2f4cda764add42ee(RList`1 xa90af1bb0ada0f53) at RightEdge.x12ca728e0d6c36e0.DisplayPriceAndVolumeChart(RList`1 bars) at RightEdge.xf266856f631ec016.ShowQuickChart(SymbolFreq symbol, ChartSettings settings, BarConstructionType constructionType) at RightEdge.x916e705eb4ff7a49.xa337d2a7b510eb4c(Object xe0292b9ed559da7d, TreeNodeMouseClickEventArgs xfbf34718e704c6bc)

Thanks, Duane
Posted Wednesday March 18 2015
An empty bar is a bar during which there was no trading activity for a symbol.  Normally there wouldn't be any empty bars in the data store.  Are you using your own data storage plugin, or did you write some code to save bars directly to the data store that might have added empty bars?

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Wednesday March 18 2015
I'm using my own plugin for mysql; however, the bar data editor returns data without issue.  Also, I'm only trying to display a graph, i.e., the error is not when I running a system.  Are there different calls from RE when graphing vs. viewing the bar data  in the editor?  Also, I checked the bardata for problems but it returned none.  Finally, 'Ignore Bar Data Errors' is checked under Symbol Information.

Please advise.

Thanks, Duane
Posted Thursday March 19 2015
Check whether the EmptyBar property is true on any of the bars returned by your plugin.  The easiest way to do this is probably by debugging the code.

When running a simulation this property is ignored on the bars that come from the data store.  The bars are broker up into ticks and then those are re-aggregated into non-empty bars.  The bar data checker also doesn't check for this.  The charts happen to check for this because in the past there was an issue where empty bars could come from the system run and cause problems in the charts afterwards, so I added the check to find those issues.

Thanks,
Daniel