Profile Picture

Debugging Strategies

Posted By BigBerner 10 Years Ago
I have just started playing around using the Microsoft CLR Debugger to debug RE strategies. For those that are not aware, it is provided free by MS as part of the .Net SDK. On initial inspection it seems to have everything you would need to debug your RE strategies, attach to process plus all the usual windows from Visual Studio (Express Editions of VS do not allow you to attach to process). Also given that it is just a debugger all the menu commands are pretty easy to find, and not buried under everything else. You could consider putting a button on a RE toolbar to launch this debugger and then include instructions on how to use it in the users manual. Given that it is free, it might give you a nice consistent way to show people how to debug their stategies. Have a look and see what you think. (If you have VS2005 on your machine then I think it is already installed at c:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio8\SDK\v2.0\GuiDebug).
phg
Supreme Being (44,559 reputation)Supreme Being (44,559 reputation)Supreme Being (44,559 reputation)Supreme Being (44,559 reputation)Supreme Being (44,559 reputation)Supreme Being (44,559 reputation)Supreme Being (44,559 reputation)Supreme Being (44,559 reputation)Supreme Being (44,559 reputation)
Posted Tuesday April 10 2007
Thanks for sharing that information. That sounds like a really interesting possibility.

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.

Posted Tuesday April 10 2007
Indeed a good suggestion!
Posted Thursday April 19 2007
People with Visual Studio Express (not the full version) need to install the .Net SDK 2.0 form here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=fe6f2099-b7b4-4f47-a244-c96d69c35dec

to get GuiDebug

www.finantic.de

Our Trading System at C2: Topaz

Edited: Thursday April 19 2007 by DrKoch
Ok, I got "Microsoft CLR Debugger" running and attached it to the running RightEdge process.

Now I have no idea how to set a breakpoint in my script's code or otherwise watch "my" variables...

It says "No symbols have been loaded for this document"

Any ideas?

www.finantic.de

Our Trading System at C2: Topaz
Do you have the system generating debug info?  This is a setting in the project properties.  Also make sure that it's generating a .pdb file.

DrKoch (4/19/2007)
Ok, I got "Microsoft CLR Debugger" running and attached it to the running RightEdge process.

Now I have no idea how to set a breakpoint in my script's code or otherwise watch "my" variables...

It says "No symbols have been loaded for this document"

Any ideas?
Posted Thursday August 16 2007
Hi, I'm new here so I hope I'm not going over old ground.

Anyway, using Visual Studio to attach to the Right Edge process sounds like a great idea to me.  I believe I may have used this once in the past when I used to debug sever-side ASP scripts. 

Anyway, has anybody produced any step-by-step instructions on exatcly what to do?

I can use VS to attach to a process but I'm not sure what to do next in order to debug my RE systems?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Arold

Posted Thursday August 16 2007
It should work fine if you're using anything but Visual Studio Express Edition.  If you use VS Express Editions, there is not attach to process, unfortunately.

Here are the steps to make it work in Visual Studio.

Load RightEdge

Load Visual Studio, do Attach to Process and attach to RightEdge.exe.

Open your system in RightEdge

Open the source file(s) to your system in Visual Studio.

Set your breakpoints and run your system in RightEdge.  The breakpoints will get tripped.

arold_ite (8/16/2007)
Hi, I'm new here so I hope I'm not going over old ground.

Anyway, using Visual Studio to attach to the Right Edge process sounds like a great idea to me.  I believe I may have used this once in the past when I used to debug sever-side ASP scripts. 

Anyway, has anybody produced any step-by-step instructions on exatcly what to do?

I can use VS to attach to a process but I'm not sure what to do next in order to debug my RE systems?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Arold

Posted Thursday July 17 2008
I would like to walk through my strategy code one line at a time.  I followed the instructions from the last reply in this thread.  I open up my VS IDE and I open the source file.  I put breakpoints within the SymbolScript class and also the SystemBase class.  I attach to the process: rightedge.exe.  I then select a couple of tickers and click on the run simulation button in RE.  Then the performance report spits out but none of my breakpoints were tripped.  What am I doing wrong here?
Posted Thursday July 17 2008
Try right clicking on the root node of the project in the project tree. Select properties. Make sure the "generate debugging information option is enabled.

Let us know if this doesn't work.

Thanks,
Daniel