Profile Picture

IB forex symbol names

Posted By jthorne 10 Years Ago
Okay, this should be easy, but I've failed on every count. What is the proper symbol naming convention for forex pairs when connecting to Interactive Brokers?

GBPCHF
GBP.CHF
GBP/CHF

Everything comes up unknown. I know the data connection to IB is good (I can easily retrieve stocks).
Posted Monday August 13 2007
Right now you would need to use GBP as the symbol name, and set the asset currency to CHF in the symbol information.  We have changed this so you can enter it as GBP/CHF, and we hope to release a version which includes this update soon.  One thing to note is that to trade the GBP/CHF pair, your account currency would need to be either GBP or CHF.  Otherwise we don't have a way to convert your profit from CHF to USD, for example.  Eventually we may support using the current GBP/USD or USD/CHF rate to calculate the correct profit.

Thanks,
Daniel

So are you referring to paper trading or actual trading? I can't do foreign currency pairs with live trading?
Hmmmm... I forgot to mention I had already tried this... didn't work. I've also tried with USD/CAD and others. Can't seem to get any data on forex from TWS. Very frustrating. But like I said, I can get equities, and I can see the forex data right there in TWS.

I always get the following error: Code 200, No Security definition has been found for the request.

dplaisted (8/13/2007)
Right now you would need to use GBP as the symbol name, and set the asset currency to CHF in the symbol information. We have changed this so you can enter it as GBP/CHF, and we hope to release a version which includes this update soon. One thing to note is that to trade the GBP/CHF pair, your account currency would need to be either GBP or CHF. Otherwise we don't have a way to convert your profit from CHF to USD, for example. Eventually we may support using the current GBP/USD or USD/CHF rate to calculate the correct profit.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted Tuesday August 14 2007
Just tested EUR/USD.  My symbol name is EUR and here's my symbol setup.

jthorne (8/13/2007)
Hmmmm... I forgot to mention I had already tried this... didn't work. I've also tried with USD/CAD and others. Can't seem to get any data on forex from TWS. Very frustrating. But like I said, I can get equities, and I can see the forex data right there in TWS.

I always get the following error: Code 200, No Security definition has been found for the request.

dplaisted (8/13/2007)
Right now you would need to use GBP as the symbol name, and set the asset currency to CHF in the symbol information. We have changed this so you can enter it as GBP/CHF, and we hope to release a version which includes this update soon. One thing to note is that to trade the GBP/CHF pair, your account currency would need to be either GBP or CHF. Otherwise we don't have a way to convert your profit from CHF to USD, for example. Eventually we may support using the current GBP/USD or USD/CHF rate to calculate the correct profit.

Thanks,
Daniel
billb (8/14/2007)
Just tested EUR/USD. My symbol name is EUR and here's my symbol setup.

Okay, I just tried this and it didn't work. I tried both downloading historical data (did this first) and then live data. Do I need to configure a certain bar or tick size somewhere?
jthorne (8/14/2007)
billb (8/14/2007)
Just tested EUR/USD. My symbol name is EUR and here's my symbol setup.

Okay, I just tried this and it didn't work. I tried both downloading historical data (did this first) and then live data. Do I need to configure a certain bar or tick size somewhere?

Did you set the exchange to IDEALPRO?

dplaisted (8/14/2007)

Did you set the exchange to IDEALPRO?

Not that I know of... looking for where I would configure that now.
Okay, I've now tried setting the exchange to IDEALPRO... still no historical data or live data.

Is forex disabled in the trial edition? Not the broker services, just the data feed from IB.

Edited: Tuesday August 14 2007 by jthorne
jthorne (8/14/2007)
Okay, I've now tried setting the exchange to IDEALPRO... still no historical data or live data.

Is forex disabled in the trial edition? Not the broker services, just the data feed from IB.

The trial version of RightEdge is no different than the full version.  Are you using the demo account for IB?  As I understand it, the IB demo account is fairly limited, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't include forex.  Can you get forex quotes from within Trader Workstation?

Daniel