Profile Picture

RightEdge Development Guide (covers changes coming for RightEdge 1.2)

Posted By dplaisted 9 Years Ago

RightEdge Development Guide (covers changes coming for RightEdge 1.2)

Back in this thread we discussed some changes we were planning for the next release of RightEdge.  We made some improvements to our plan along the way, but we are now finished with the changes and are close to releasing a beta of RightEdge 1.2.

Since people felt that accessing the current value of a series with SeriesName[0] could be confusing, we got rid of the indexer, and you can now access the current value of a series with SeriesName.Current, and the previous values with SeriesName.LookBack(nBars).  We think this solution will make it easy to read and write code without being confusing.

There are a lot of changes to how systems are written in RightEdge 1.2.  We are confident that these changes are for the better and will make it significantly easier to write systems, and to learn how to do so.  Unfortunately this will require existing systems to be updated.  We will provide guidance to try to make this process as painless as possible, and we will be available to assist anyone needing help with this on the forums or via email.

One area we felt was sorely lacking in our documentation was a guide to programming systems with RightEdge.  So we have written a "Developing Trading Systems in RightEdge" guide, which will be added to the documentation.  I am attaching it here, and it gives a first look at how to write systems for RightEdge 1.2.  It does not address how to convert a system from 1.1 to 1.2, but I think it will be helpful to first get an overview of how to write systems.

Let us know if anything is unclear or if you have any comments.

Thanks,
Daniel

Attachments
DoQ
Supreme Being (11,443 reputation)Supreme Being (11,443 reputation)Supreme Being (11,443 reputation)Supreme Being (11,443 reputation)Supreme Being (11,443 reputation)Supreme Being (11,443 reputation)Supreme Being (11,443 reputation)Supreme Being (11,443 reputation)Supreme Being (11,443 reputation)
Posted Friday February 15 2008
When 1.2 is released, can we have access for 1.1 available in the Customer Area.  I'd like to know that I have a fallback if things hit a brick wall. Can't afford to lose any more time porting code. Need to trade once in a while.

In fact, it would be nice to have access to all previous versions of RE available, understanding, of course, that they won't be supported further.

thx

DoQ_Indicators
"better is the enemy of good enough"

Edited: Friday February 15 2008 by DoQ
Posted Friday February 15 2008
Some points:

1. We don't see a problem with having downloads for older versions still availible on the site.  Will make a note so that it can happen.

2. Additionally one of our goals is to support side by side installations so that 1.1 can still be used while folks investigate / port to 1.2.

3. We're going to be pretty pro-active in helping people get things ported to the new version.

phg
Supreme Being (44,805 reputation)Supreme Being (44,805 reputation)Supreme Being (44,805 reputation)Supreme Being (44,805 reputation)Supreme Being (44,805 reputation)Supreme Being (44,805 reputation)Supreme Being (44,805 reputation)Supreme Being (44,805 reputation)Supreme Being (44,805 reputation)
Posted Saturday February 16 2008
Very helful development guide. I like it already, with one reservation. It is unfortunate to see the term 'options' used in the structure of a language for trading. "Options" are also a trading vehicle, and this possible use of the term in different senses is a source of confusion awaiting.

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.

Small feedback about .CurrentValue property and .LookBack method. It makes sense to create default indexer which will use either CurrentValue if called with value 0, or LookBack if called with value >0. For example, this line:
double diff = Open.CurrentValue - Close.LookBack(1);

will be much easier to write in this format:
double diff = Open[0] - Close[1];

Well we were originally planning to use an indexer like this, but there was some resistance to this (see the other thread) and we felt it would be confusing, because many people would expect Series[0] to refer to the first/oldest item in the series.  When you see Series.LookBack(1) or Series.CurrentValue, there is no confusion about what you are accessing.

FYI, Series.CurrentValue is the same thing as Series.LookBack(0).

Thanks,
Daniel

phg (2/16/2008)
Very helful development guide. I like it already, with one reservation. It is unfortunate to see the term 'options' used in the structure of a language for trading. "Options" are also a trading vehicle, and this possible use of the term in different senses is a source of confusion awaiting.

That's a good point, and I think it may have been brought up before and then forgotten.  We will probably rename the classes to PositionSettings and OrderSettings, unless someone has a better suggestion for the names to use.

Thanks,
Daniel

Posted Sunday February 17 2008
> suggestion for the names

Properties

www.finantic.de

Our Trading System at C2: Topaz
Posted Sunday February 17 2008
I renamed the CurrentValue property of a series to Current.  I also changed PositionOptions and OrderOptions to PositionSettings and OrderSettings.  I have updated the document attached to the first post to reflect these changes.

Thanks,
Daniel

Posted Monday February 18 2008
dplaisted (2/16/2008)

Well we were originally planning to use an indexer like this, but there was some resistance to this (see the other thread) and we felt it would be confusing, because many people would expect Series[0] to refer to the first/oldest item in the series. When you see Series.LookBack(1) or Series.CurrentValue, there is no confusion about what you are accessing.

Why not to use both methods then? Somebody will always be confused about one thing or another - you can't please everyone. Indexer is a standard way to access array of data, and the price series are definitely arrays of data.