Profile Picture

Realtime Quotes form Yahoo

Posted By DrKoch 9 Years Ago
Yahoo offers a relatively cheap realtime data source:

http://billing.finance.yahoo.com/realtime_quotes/signup

Are there plans to connect this with RE?

www.finantic.de

Our Trading System at C2: Topaz
Posted Thursday March 20 2008
I noticed this as well but couldn't find any indication of an API for us to connect to.

DrKoch (3/20/2008)
Yahoo offers a relatively cheap realtime data source:

http://billing.finance.yahoo.com/realtime_quotes/signup

Are there plans to connect this with RE?
Posted Sunday March 23 2008
After seeing this thread, I sent an email to yahoo asking about an API. This was their response:

Hello Mark,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Finance Premium.

I understand that you have an inquiry with regard to the API system
application for Yahoo! Real-Time Quotes. Regretfully, the feature you
are referring to is unavailable at the moment. You have a really good
suggestion and because your views and opinions are important to us, I
assure you that we have taken note of your concern. I will add your
suggestion to our user suggestion list that we periodically review when
deciding new features for Yahoo! Finance. Please continue to watch for
future announcements.

I acknowledge the feature's significance in your business, and not
having this may pose an inconvenience on your part. However, Yahoo!
Real-Time Quotes are only working with Java application. If you need
further assistance, please don't hesitate to email me back.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Finance Premium.

Regards,

Addie
Posted Sunday March 23 2008
Wow, thanks for doing that.  We'll keep our eyes peeled to see if they offer that API and some point.  Let us know if you hear anything.
Posted Monday April 05 2010
Hi

After creating and backtesting a system, I am ready to test live. The system runs over Nasdaq composite which has about 2400 symbols. Unfortunately in Interactive Brokers you get only a 100 symbols in real time which is far too less for the system to show a good performance. Since Yahoo! offers real time rates on their page and after reading this discussion, I was wondering if there is a way now, to link Yahoo! real time with Rightedge?
If not, do you have any other suggestions how to bring Nasdaq composite symbols (2400) relatively cheap (or free even better) to connect with Rightedge?

Thank you for your help
Posted Monday April 05 2010
We don't pull real time rates from Yahoo because it's not streaming and it's not in a defined format. In other words, we'd have to screen scrape HTML to get the prices. The minute Yahoo makes one change to the page, it will break the plugin.

There isn't any reason why you couldn't make a go of it though. 2400 symbols is a lot of symbols. IQFeed offers something like 400 symbols and I think you can pay a bit more and get more symbols.

rigi583 (4/5/2010)
Hi

After creating and backtesting a system, I am ready to test live. The system runs over Nasdaq composite which has about 2400 symbols. Unfortunately in Interactive Brokers you get only a 100 symbols in real time which is far too less for the system to show a good performance. Since Yahoo! offers real time rates on their page and after reading this discussion, I was wondering if there is a way now, to link Yahoo! real time with Rightedge?
If not, do you have any other suggestions how to bring Nasdaq composite symbols (2400) relatively cheap (or free even better) to connect with Rightedge?

Thank you for your help
phg
Supreme Being (44,643 reputation)Supreme Being (44,643 reputation)Supreme Being (44,643 reputation)Supreme Being (44,643 reputation)Supreme Being (44,643 reputation)Supreme Being (44,643 reputation)Supreme Being (44,643 reputation)Supreme Being (44,643 reputation)Supreme Being (44,643 reputation)
Posted Tuesday April 06 2010
How timely do those quotes have to be? eSignal offers increments of 500 and 1000 and maybe more. TWS imposes a limit of 50 requests/second, so using snapshots you could go as high as 3000/minute with IB. And more if you also use your paper account in addition, and more yet if you use additional accounts. Which further means you could get the efffective delay down to 15 seconds or better.

(BTW, I believe real-time Yahoo quotes are streaming.)

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.