Profile Picture

multiple instance control

Posted By mark0419 9 Years Ago
Now that IsLiveBroker is sorted out, I'm making much better progress on my service plugin. I've been working with all of the interfaces (Iservice, IBarDataRetrieval, ITickRetrieval, IBroker) in a single monolithic plugin class as this is supposed to operate on a single connection only.

I've set the IService.SupportsMultipleInstances to return false Wink

I can connect live, stream ticks, add/remove symbols etc.. and only one instance is created. History downloads, when run without streaming data, work fine. However, while connected live, if I try to update history on another symbol a new instance of the service (and thus a new connection) is created.

I haven't begun work on the broker piece yet, so I don't know what happens there.

Does SupportsMultipleInstances() only apply to the component service? As it is part of the IService interface it seemed like it might be "plugin" global.

Thanks,
Mark
Posted Tuesday April 29 2008
I hate to tell you, but SupportsMultipleInstances doesn't currently do anything.  If you use the same plugin for live data and for your broker, it will still create two copies.  We plan to eventually respect it (possibly in the next edition), but that would still only apply to a single instance of RightEdge.  If you want to have multiple instances of RightEdge using only one connection, I think you may want to write an external application that connects to your service, and then write a plugin for RightEdge that connects to that application via sockets (or named pipes or something).

Thanks,
Daniel

Well that is a bit of a bummer. I don't really mind each RE instance creating a connection, for me they would be independent accounts anyway. On a given RE instance though, I would much rather have all 3 pieces (live ticks,history, and execution) operating on a single service instance / connection. I was debating the 'external app' route you mentioned and thought I should ask before going ahead any further.

How high up on the priority list is the functionality of "SupportsMultipleInstances"?

Thanks,
Mark
It's on the list of things to include in the next edition if we have time.  It's kind of complicated because it will require some changes to our architecture.  On the other hand, a lot of those changes are planned for the next edition in any case, so even if it doesn't make it the groundwork will be there.

Daniel

Posted Thursday November 12 2009
Do you have some news about IService.SupportsMultipleInstances ?

Is't work?

Posted Friday November 13 2009
Not yet.

sda75 (11/12/2009)
Do you have somenews aboutIService.SupportsMultipleInstances ?

Is't work?
Posted Wednesday November 18 2009
When it w'll work?

DeveloperDeveloperDeveloperDeveloperDeveloperDeveloperDeveloperDeveloper
It's on the list of things to include in the next edition if we have time.  It's kind of complicated because it will require some changes to our architecture.  On the other hand, a lot of those changes are planned for the next edition in any case, so even if it doesn't make it the groundwork will be there.

Daniel

Edited: Thursday November 19 2009 by sda75
Posted Thursday November 19 2009
It's not scheduled yet because Edition 2 is code complete. The next edition's feature set has not yet been finalized.
Posted Thursday November 19 2009
Good day
My ISP gives me 1 socket connection.

Can you give an example of how to organize his Historical, RealTime, Broker data acquisition.

(when i start live system - data feed - kill live system connection)

Posted Saturday November 21 2009
Your ISP or your data provider? Who is your data provider?