Profile Picture

Interactive Brokers API update

Posted By billb 11 Years Ago
IB has released 9.0 of their API.  This contained some breaking changes that we had to account for (and are still testing).  The question is, have most folks upgraded to the new API or are you still using the old one?  If using the old one, when do you usually update the API libraries?  I think we'll probably only support 9.0 for the next release, but moving forward, we'd like to get an idea of how to support multiple versions of the TWS API and how many versions we would need to support.
phg
Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)
Posted Thursday December 21 2006
Bill,

This is a nasty conundrum that plagues lots of developers. And users as well; where you have more than one machine some may be at one level while another is at a different level.

I don't know to what extent it would complicate things for RE, but what are the chances of RE providing adapters for a 'few' levels, to be downloaded and installed by the RE client to fit the client's API level? I would suggest supporting no more than 3 levels, where one of those 'levels' is fairly early support for a beta API release. So in the current situation I would foresee 8.85, 9.00 and the next beta. For one thing that should provide a year's worth of window where a client would not be forced to upgrade. By the same token, I would recommend setting the expectation that at least a yearly upgrade will likely be necessary as a consequence of the change IB makes to the API. It's just the way things are; the client has to bite the bullet sometime.

-Pete

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.

I guess I was thinking that with the plugin capability of RightEdge, we could have a plugin for all versions going forward.  In other words, let's say we start at 9.00 for the 1.0 release.  We could have a TWSPlugin90.dll for RE.  When 9.5 comes out, TWSPlugin95.dll, etc.  However, we won't ship all versions of the plugin, but a user may come back to the site or use some others means to obtain the version they require.  I think this is useful so that a user is not confused/overwhelmed by all of the different plugins for TWS and a user who knows what they're looking for can easily locate it.
phg
Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)Supreme Being (46,825 reputation)
Would work beautifully for me.

A cautionary note: I would recommend making it clear in your literature that new releases of RE (or upgrades) may well not support old API levels. If a problem shows up (and the API always has some complicated nuances) you do not want to have to sort through too many combinations.

-Pete

See also Yahoo group about applying RE.

Posted Sunday February 25 2007
I'm having problems connecting to Interactive Brokers.    I performed the following steps:

Tools --> Configure Services --> New --> and then Selected Interactive Brokers.

All the fields are greyed out, I'm unable to add the necessary info to connect to the IB api.    Am I doing something wrong?    Sorry for the NOOB questions. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

They are grayed because IB doesn't accept connections from anything other than localhost (although you may be able to specify a port, so technically the graying may be in error).  But anyway ... you have to have TWS running and you have to have "Enable ActiveX and Socket Clients" checked from the Configure->API menu in TWS.  If it still does not work, you may need the TWS API software installed.  This can be found here:  http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/control/apicontrol.php?ib_entity=llc ... unfortunately IB's plugin is probably the biggest burden on the end user, and of course, they update frequently than anyone else to add to that pain.  BigGrin

ozzy (2/25/2007)
I'm having problems connecting to Interactive Brokers.    I performed the following steps:

Tools --> Configure Services --> New --> and then Selected Interactive Brokers.

All the fields are greyed out, I'm unable to add the necessary info to connect to the IB api.    Am I doing something wrong?    Sorry for the NOOB questions. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm using IB API 9.0 (the latest version I believe).   The ActiveX is checked and my platform is up and running.  But I'm still unable to configure/connect to IB. 
What's the error message?

ozzy (2/25/2007)
I'm using IB API 9.0 (the latest version I believe).   The ActiveX is checked and my platform is up and running.  But I'm still unable to configure/connect to IB. 

There's no error message.  I can create the service but I'm unable to fill in Server Adress/Port/Username/Password.

Edited: Sunday February 25 2007 by ozzy
You can create the service.  You don't need to specify a user name, password, server, port, etc.  It always connects to the local instance of TWS.